Immobilier à Aubagne : Arthur Immo

Our practical sheets

Our practical sheets

I want to transform a commercial space into housing, do I need a change of use permit?

The buyer's rights

No, the authorization of change of use is not necessary. However, planning permission must be obtained for a change of use.

The change of use:
To transform a building into a dwelling, it is necessary to obtain a planning permission for the change of use, that is to say, at least a prior declaration.
If the transformation is accompanied by a modification of the facade or of the supporting structures, a building permit will be necessary.

Please note: the change of use requires a planning permission as soon as there is a change from one of the following uses: housing, hotel accommodation, offices, commerce, crafts, industry, agricultural or forestry use, warehouse and public services or collective interest.

Change of use:
Change of use should not be confused with change of destination which are not governed by the same rules.

Authorization to change the use of a dwelling is required by the construction and housing code for the change from a dwelling to a professional premises.
The change of destination required to transform a commercial premises into a dwelling is required by the town planning code.

The change of use of a premises only requires an administrative authorization when it is done from housing to another use, whatever it is and not the opposite. Moreover, it is only required in certain large cities, i.e., in municipalities with more than 200,000 inhabitants, those of the inner suburbs (92, 93 and 94) and municipalities in which the regulations have been extended.
It is therefore necessary to obtain information from the town hall if you wish to convert a residential property into a property for another use (commercial, etc.).